Creative Commons is developing the following opportunities for the Certificate program.
We will offer a train-the-trainers program for participants interested in instructing the Certificate course, starting in 2019. This program entails:
- Taking, passing, and staying up-to-date on the Certificate modules
- Taking and passing an Instructors module
- Serving as an apprentice instructor for one 10-week course
- Participating in annual content updates
For the Train-the-Trainers program, participants pay the $300 registration fee to take the 10-week online Certificate. Because participants will serve as an apprentice instructor for one online course, Creative Commons will waive the fee for the Instructor module. Upon completion of the Train-the-Trainers program, participants will be certified as CC Certificate instructors and are eligible to train others in their country on the Certificate course in coordination with Creative Commons headquarters.
Teaching a CC Certificate Course or Bootcamp
While Creative Commons headquarters (CC HQ) will run all operations and maintain the core Certificate content, CC Country Teams (and/or other authorized partner organizations) seeking to train their country audience on the Certificate may do so under the following conditions:
- Local instructors are trained in the Certificate train-the-trainers program (see above).
- CC Country Teams coordinate all Certificate online courses and bootcamp scheduling and communication with CC HQ.
- Instructors are paid $3000 to instruct a Certificate online course or bootcamp.
Localization and Translation:
If localized content is required (e.g., relevant case studies), CC Country Teams may propose the new content to CC HQ. If approved, the new content would be written and maintained by the CC Country Team. Localized content will be added as appendices to CC Certificate modules.
CC HQ will facilitate formal translations of the Certificate into different languages. We will have more updates on translation soon.
Additional CC Certificates:
Creative Commons currently offers Certificates for Educators and Librarians. We have plans to offer Certificates for GLAM, Government and continuing legal education in the future, and will share updates when they are available.
We want to make the CC Certificates available to everyone. We are exploring options for offering scholarships in the future. Please stay tuned.
Open Educational Resources for Informal Learning
- All CC Certificate content will be available under the CC BY 4.0 license starting in July 2018, making it open educational resources (OER). All content will be downloadable in editable file formats.
- The OER alone does not yield a CC Certification, but you are welcome to reuse the content to learn informally, and/or remix it for other purposes. If you want the CC Certification, you’ll need to take one of our formal CC Certificate courses which include instructor support and assessments.
- The online, self-paced OER is available to a unlimited number of learners and is, of course, free to use.