More information about CC history
How I Lost the Big One by Lawrence Lessig.
- Lawrence Lessig describes the details of the Eldred case
Excerpt from Free Culture by Lawrence Lessig. CC BY-NC 1.0
- Excerpt that provides more background on the Eldred case: http://www.authorama.com/free-culture-18.html
More information about CC and open licensing
Why Open Education Matters, by David Blake @ Degreed. CC BY 3.0
- A brief video that explains how open education is enabled by the internet, why it is valuable for the global community, and how Creative Commons licenses enable open education
We Copy Like We Breathe, by Cory Doctorow.
- A keynote address that explains copying and how the internet has changed the space of
copying. This frames the need for adequate licensing as we copy and share online
More information about the Commons
How Does the Commons Work by The Next System Project, adapted from Commoning as a Transformative Social Paradigm. CC BY 3.0
- Video explaining how a commons works, adapted from economist David Bollier’s explanation of what a commons is, and threats to the commons.
The Commons Short and Sweet by David Bollier. CC BY 3.0
- A brief blog post explanation of a commons, some problems of a commons, and what enables a commons to occur
The Wealth of the Commons: A World Beyond Market and State by David Bollier & Silke Helfrich. CC BY-SA 3.0
- A book that seeks many voices to gather descriptions of what types of resources exist in the commons, geographic circumstances relating to the commons, and the political relevance of the commons
Enclosure Wikipedia Article. CC BY-SA 3.0
- An article describing enclosure, which is an issue that presents itself in a commons
The Political Economy of the Commons by Yochai Benkler. CC BY 3.0
- A brief article that explains how common infrastructure can sustain the commons
The Tragedy of the Commons by Boundless & Lumen Learning
- A section of an economics course textbook that explains the economic principles underlying potential threats to the commons
Debunking the Tragedy of the Commons by On the Commons. CC BY-SA 3.0
- A short article describing how the tragedy of the commons can be overcome
Elinor Ostrom’s 8 Principles for Managing a Commons by On the Commons. CC BY-SA 3.0
- A short history of economist Elinor Ostrom and the 8 principles for managing a commons that she has established
More information about other open movements, including Open GLAM
Free Culture Game by Molle Industria. CC BY-NC-SA 3.0
- A game to help understand the concept of free culture
The case for Open Access by Andrea Wallace and Douglas McCarthy. CC BY 4.0.
An article published originally in The Apollo Magazine that lies out some of the fundamentals for open access to cultural heritage.
Participant Recommended Resources
CC Certificate participants’ recommended many additional resources through Hypothes.is annotations on the Certificate website. While Creative Commons has not vetted these resources, we wanted to highlight participant’s contributions here: https://certificates.creativecommons.org/cccerteducomments/chapter/additional-resources. See comments open on the right, once you login to Hypothes.is.