More information about CC history
- Lawrence Lessig describes the details of the Eldred case.
- Excerpt that provides more background on the Eldred case.
More information about CC and open licensing
- A brief video that explains how open education is enabled by the internet, why it is valuable for the global community, and how Creative Commons licenses enable open education.
We Copy Like We Breathe, by Cory Doctorow
- A keynote address that explains copying and how the internet has changed the space of
copying. This frames the need for adequate licensing as we copy and share online.
More information about the Commons
- Video explaining how a commons works, adapted from economist David Bollier’s explanation of what a commons is, and threats to the commons.
- A brief blog post explanation of a commons, some problems of a commons, and what enables a commons to occur.
The Wealth of the Commons: A World Beyond Market and State by David Bollier & Silke Helfrich. CC BY-SA 3.0
- A book that seeks many voices to gather descriptions of what types of resources exist in the commons, geographic circumstances relating to the commons, and the political relevance of the commons.
- An article describing enclosure, which is an issue that presents itself in a commons.
- A brief article that explains how common infrastructure can sustain the commons.
The Tragedy of the Commons by Boundless & Lumen Learning
- A section of an economics course textbook that explains the economic principles underlying potential threats to the commons.
- A short article describing how the tragedy of the commons can be overcome.
Elinor Ostrom’s 8 Principles for Managing a Commons by On the Commons. CC BY-SA 3.0
- A short history of economist Elinor Ostrom and the 8 principles for managing a commons that she has established.
More information about other open movements, including Open GLAM
- A game to help understand the concept of free culture.
- An article published originally in The Apollo Magazine that lies out some of the fundamentals for open access to cultural heritage.